If you are going to migrate from Blogger to WordPress, you should know about the migration process correctly. Because an improper way or an incomplete way of migration can lead your blog to several errors.
The main three issues with incorrect migration are:
- Loss of Search Engine Ranking
- Loss of Traffic
- Lots of 404 errors
So, to avoid this you should know the procedures of migration well. Let’s start with the requirements of migration.
A Good Hosting
You can use hosting from any provider you wish. But if you ask me which is the best, I will you BlueHost and SiteGround. I don’t know much about it because I’m not using it. But as per the reviews given on several blogs, I think those are the best.
The important thing you should know is, shared hosting may be cheaper and WordPress may be working well on it. But that is not the plan for WordPress. A WordPress blog should be on Managed WordPress Hosting for the best working. If you can’t afford it, I will suggest you to try BlogBing for free.
WP Plugin Blogger To WordPress Redirection Plugin
Don’t worry about it. You can search Blogger to WordPress in the search box seen in Plugins page of your WordPress dashboard. And this plugin is free.
If you have a domain name, it will be great. You will not get a trust from visitors if you are using subdomains.
Now let’s see the procedures, it’s not that hard but it will take some time, half an hour for full configuration. If you need any help contact me 🙂
There are four main steps:
- Exporting Posts, Images and Comments from Blogger to WordPress.
- Importing To WordPress.
- Changing Permalink stucture.
- Enabling redirection from Blogger to WordPress.
Exporting From Blogger
This is an easy task, if you follow the steps, you can do it within 5 minutes.
- Open Blogger.com
- From the Blogger Dashboard open Settings of your blog.
- Choose Others from Settings.
- You will see an option Backup Content.
- A box will appear showing an option Save to your computer, click on it.
A zip file will be downloaded with all your posts, comments and images.
Importing To WordPress
- Open your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on Plugins menu.
- Install Blogger To WordPress Extended.
- Activate it.
- Click on Tools menu.
- Select Import menu from it.
- Click On Blogger To WordPress Extended
- You will be asked for authorization, do it. The Plugin will do rest of the work.
Importing will take some time. Sometimes it will show as force closed but it will restart within few seconds.
Changing the Permalink Structure
This is the step doing for getting your old traffic and to keep the old links alive. If you have shared your blog post links somewhere or if other blogs linked to your blog post, this step is essential. If you didn’t do this, those links would redirect the users entering your site to a 404 page on your site, which will lead to loss of traffic. To avoid this, you should apply a small change in your Permalink.
- Open your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Permalinks from it.
- Choose Custom Structure and paste this in the given box
- Save the Settings.
Enabling Blogger To WordPress Redirection
This is an important part of migration. Most of the beginners leave this undone. If you didn’t do this, you would lose traffic and there will be several 404 errors. So, do this also.
- Install the WordPress to Blogger Redirection plugin.
- Now Activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
- After the activation of the plugin, you can see a menu Blogger to WordPress Redirection under Tools.
- Now click on Blogger To WordPress Redirection menu.
- Now a page will be opened which will look like this.
- Click on Start Configuration
- Now you will get the code – copy it, which is the code of your Blogger template which is adjusted for redirection.
- Open Blogger.com
- Open your blog dashboard
- Click on Templates
- Click on Edit Template
- Select the full code and delete it.
- Paste the code you copied from the plugin.
- Save Template
This is the Blogger to WordPress migration process. You can do this your own and if you need any help feel free to contact us.