There are several blogging platforms but Blogger and WordPress are used by most of the bloggers. Most of the beginners want to try blogging in a free platform, so many of them go for Blogger and WordPress.com. Both of these are free platforms. And some others go directly to WordPress.org and a few of them go to other free blogging platforms.
What is the Difference Between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.com is a free blogging platform, where you can create your free site and publish it but with several limitations like blogger. But if we compare WordPress.com with Blogger, then I have to say that Blogger is better than WordPress.com. Because the limitations in WordPress.com is a bit more than Blogger, which you can overcome by paying some amount.
Pros of WordPress.com
- Offers only 3 GB storage for free WordPress.com account.
Cons of WordPress.com
- After 3GB of free storage, $19.95 per year for 5GB and $289.97 per year for 100GB.
- To make your WordPress.com blog Ad-free for non- logged in users you have to pay $30/year for a blog.
- For custom design you have to pay $30/year. You can only edit CSS in it, you can’t edit PHP.
- You can’t add plugins in your free WordPress.com blog.
- You cannot use other analytics software.
- You cannot remove Powered by WordPress.com
- $129 for guided transfer to a WordPress.org self-hosted blog.
- You have share revenue from ads in the ratio 50:50.
These are the main limitations of WordPress.com and if we compare it with Blogger, we can say that Blogger is better than WordPress.com.
We can compare Blogger with WordPress.org. It is an open source software which can be installed in a hosting that we choose. BlueHost, SiteGround, etc. are the best hosting providers.
Pros of WordPress.org
- Thousands of free and premium themes are available for WordPress.org blogs.
- Plugins can be used.
- We can monetize with ads or whatever we like.
- Unlimited storage space (depends upon your hosting plan).
- No extra charges for adding custom domain.
- Total charges will be less than WordPress.com blogs.
Cons of WordPress.org
- For a good hosting you have to a good amount per year.(Still it will not cross the total cost of WordPress.com blogs).
So, what about blogger?
Blogger is a free product from Google and so you are not the owner of your blog. Google have all the rights to shut down their service or remove your access to your blog any time they like. So, you can’t do anything if they deleted your blog a day.
Pros of Blogger.com :
- Completely free of charge.
- Good templates are available in Blogger.com itself and you can also download third party templates and install on your blog anytime.
- You can add your custom domain without any extra charges.
- 15 GB free storage available in Google drive for storing images and other files.
- You can add unlimited number of pages.
Cons of Blogger.com :
- You don’t have full control over your blog.
- Limited number of themes are available.
- No plugins can be used.
Something a blogger user should know :
- You can migrate to WordPress anytime without effecting your blog traffic and ranking.